Men’s Shed funding available
Thursday 8 March 2018
Grants of up to $60,000 are now available to build new Men’s Sheds and $30,000 to redevelop and modify existing men’s sheds, Nationals Member for Ovens Valley Tim McCurdy said.
Mr McCurdy encouraged incorporated not-for-profit groups in the Ovens Valley electorate to apply for the latest round of grants from this year’s Men’s Shed Funding Program.
“Men’s Sheds play a very important role in the Ovens Valley electorate and are one of the most powerful tools we have in helping men to remain valued and valuable members of our community,” Mr McCurdy said.
“Most Aussie men have learned from our culture that they don’t talk about feelings and emotions. It’s probably largely because of this that many men are prone to suffer more from isolation, loneliness and depression.
“Becoming a member of a Men’s Shed provides men with a safe and busy environment where they can connect with friends and maintain an active body and active mind in an atmosphere of old-fashioned mateship.”
Projects for funding may include:
- Construction of a new men’s shed
- Conversion of an existing facility into a men’s shed
- Construction of an addition to an existing men’s shed
- Modifications or upgrades to an existing men’s shed to address accessibility or occupational health and safety requirements
- Minor projects to provide solar panels, power upgrades or air conditioning/heating systems
- Other capital improvements to men’s shed facilities.
Priority will be given to projects that:
- Involve active management and participation by members of Aboriginal communities
- Demonstrate a high level of need for the project in the community
- Demonstrate capacity to enhance the health and wellbeing of members
- Represent considerable value for government investment
- Will address significant disadvantage in the local community
- Support the inclusion of newly arrived migrant and refugee communities.
Applications for grants close on 8 June, 2018. More information is available at https://providers.dhhs.vic.gov.au/mens-shed-program.